Monday, February 26, 2007

Elektra, Athens 26.2.2007



I just got back from the dress rehearsal of Elektra. I m a bit dizzy...i cant really think well and once more i realize that the works of Richard Strauss haunt me when i see them on stage...And yes, this was my first live Elektra! I always say to my friends who don't like Richard Strauss' operas that his operas are not operas to listen to but to watch (tell me sonething i dont know)! My God! His perception of drama is amazing! Every single note, every single "strange sound" is so significant in his work that if you really try to listen to all instruments and what they have to say, you ll end up having a headache. I remember myself coming out of the Athens Megaron on the 11th of October of 2003 after my first Die Frau Ohne Schatten! I was speechless! And a bit ashamed that when i was younger i couldnt appreciate Strauss' work... Anyway, i ll be back with more after the premiere on Thursday...

ps. Inga Nielsen was ill so she actually whispered her role instead of singing it...
ps2. Baltsa was great. period.
ps3. Secunde's voice is getting more and more wobbly...but i 'm sure that a dress rehearsal is not enough to judge a performance...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Since when is Baltsa a soprano??? Always has been and still is a mezzo...