Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Miss Swenson hits the road...



Wow, its been a long time since i last read a bitter interview given by a Diva (long, long time, since the romanian bitch's interview a couple of days ago!) but this one is worse: It's a reality-Jerry Springer like-bitter interview! I give you some parts of it but if you wanna read the whole thing click here

..."Ms. Swenson, known for her creamy sound and superb technique, has no more engagements there {the MET} beyond a string of “Traviata” performances next season. Further, the Met has given one of the “Giulio Cesare” performances to her understudy, Danielle de Niese, described on the Met Web site as “the young star of the recent celebrated Glyndebourne production.” The site makes no reference to Ms. Swenson’s merits. And next year four of her nine “Traviata” dates have been handed to another star, Renée Fleming.

“It’s hurtful,” Ms. Swenson said. “I’m a New Yorker. I’ve sung here for many, many years. I’ve had great success. I’ve never let them down.” She added: “It’s so stressful to get up onstage and realize that the top guy doesn’t like you, and there’s nothing I can do about it. Nothing.”

The top guy is Peter Gelb, the Met’s first-year general manager, who has moved forcefully to put his stamp on the company by emphasizing the dramatic content of opera and working hard to push it before the public eye. Ms. Swenson, a coloratura soprano who has taken on heavier roles and is much liked in the profession, was hired by his predecessor, Joseph Volpe.

Mr. Gelb acknowledged some dissatisfaction with her past performances. But he disputed that her career at the Met was over.

Ms. Swenson and her husband and vocal coach, David Burnakus, have other ideas about why Mr. Gelb seems to have lost interest.

“I think I’m not skinny enough for him,” the full-figured Ms. Swenson said. “Excuse me, I’m not some giant person.”...

And the beat goes on.....

I dont particularly like Swenson. I think she is a good technician, has a beautiful voice but she is freezing cold as an artist/actress...I watched her twice in the Traviatas she sang in Athens and everytime at the end i would feel as if i had been to the dentist...No emotion, no drama. And i watched her again in a double bill recital with Charles Castronovo. She sang magnificently but again same thing happened... So sterile, so indifferent so BORING!
*One can find all mentioned performances at my library...

ps. It's such a pitty...She 's one of the most simple, kind and happy divas i ve ever met! ...

2 comments:

KalliopiD said...

Poso poly s'eyxaristw gia to xtesino recital ths Horne...Has made my day!!!

KalliopiD said...

Opote boreseis, anebase mu info, den ta xerw ola ta kommatia...O pianistas kataplhktikos!Poios einai?Diafwtise me oso boreis...Trellainomai pu thn akuw kiolas na kanei comments prin apo kathe aria.Kai bebaia ta italakia na xanun ta myalla tus kai na urliazoun!!!(Pws na mhn urliaxun alitheia???)M'aresei pu einai me to piano, poly zesth atmosfaira!Excellent!